Profile of Moorhead & Moorhead
- Business Name
- Moorhead & Moorhead
- United States
- Architecture, Industrial Design
[L-R] Granger Moorhead and Robert Moorhead
Granger Moorhead (1969)
- M Arch Yale University 1995
- BA Yale University 1991
Robert Moorhead (1972)
- BID Rhode Island School of Design 1996
- BFA Rhode Island School of Design 1995
Moorhead & Moorhead is a New York based architecture and industrial design collaboration. Driven by the inventive aspects of design, their work explores issues of function and materiality at scales ranging from furniture to architecture.
Collaboration is inherent in M&M's design process. At the core of the brothers' work is the pairing of their distinct backgrounds in architecture and industrial design. Each project is a unique synthesis of their expertise in detailing, fabrication and spatial design. In addition to their ongoing internal collaboration, M&M teams up with a diverse group of outside designers, fabricators and consultants on a project by project basis.
Experimentation is fundamental to their work. The M&M studio includes a prototyping shop that allows the brothers to push materials and designs to their limits through full-scale explorations. These material explorations result in furniture designs such as the award-winning Rubber Lamp and Filament Wound Bench; and enable inventive low-budget design solutions for clients such as Metropolis Magazine, Van Alen Institute and The Robert's Street Chaplet Project.
M&M's work has been widely recognized. It has traveled the US, Europe and Asia as part of group exhibitions, and was most recently included in the Cooper-Hewitt's Design Life Now, National Design Triennial 2006. It has been published extensively in international design magazines, and was included in the design survey Young Designers: Americas (daab, 2006). The Moorhead brothers have received ID Annual Design Review Awards in both the Furniture and Environments categories; and were recently invited to participate in the Architectural League of New York's Emerging Voices lecture series for 2008.
Both brothers taught in the Product Design Department at Parsons School of Design from 2001 through 2005, and continue to be invited guests at Parsons, RISD and Yale.
- Founded: 2000
- Offices: 1
- Design team: 2
- 2008 - Uruguay Compound; Private Vacation Compound; Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
- 2007 - Hanover Square Loft; Single Family Loft; New York, USA
- 2003-2006 - Filament Wound Bench; Furniture
- 2006 - Mobile Chaplet; Space for Contemplation; North Dakota, USA
- 2000-2006 - Rubber Lamp; Furniture
- 2005 - 2006 - Metropolis Magazine Booth; Tradeshow Booth; New York, USA
- 2005 - Parachute Pavilion Exhibition, The Van Alen Institute; Exhibit Design; New York, USA
- 2003 - Hudson Street Townhouse; Mixed-Use Townhouse; New York
- 2001 - Polypropylene Chair Low; Furniture
- 2000 - Felt Stool; Furniture
- 2006 - Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Design Life Now: National Design Triennial 2006
- 2006 - daab, Cologne; Young Designers: Americas
- 2002 - Princeton Architectural Press, New York; Skin: Surface Substance + Design
- 2007 - August; Architectural Record; "Snapshot: A Family Designs a Little Chapel on the Prairie"
- 2007 - July/August; Metropolis; "Observed: Little Chapels on the Prairie"
- 2007 - July/August; I.D., The International Design Magazine; "53rd Annual Design Review"
- 2005 - April/May; Monument; "A Bond Apart"
- 2005 - February; The New York Sun; "High Concepts"
- 2004 - November; Surface; "Industrial Strength"
- 2000 - September; The New York Times; "Designers Find You Can't Live on Buzz"
- 2008 - 2008 Emerging Voices; Architectural League NY; New York, USA
- 2007 - 53rd Annual Design Review, Design Distinction / Furniture; I.D., The International Design Magazine; New York, USA
- 2007 - 53rd Annual Design Review, Honorable Mention / Environments; I.D., The International Design Magazine; New York, USA
- 2005 - Metropolis Booth Design Competition, Winner; Metropolis Magazine; New York, USA
- 2004 - Future Furniture Competition, Winner; Interior Design Magazine; New York, USA
- 2001 - 47th Annual Design Review, Honorable Mention / Furniture; I.D., The International Design Magazine; New York, USA
- 2000 - 46th Annual Design Review, Design Distinction / Furniture; I.D., The International Design Magazine; New York, USA