Published: Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Page 1 of 1
Profile of the American architecture firm buildingstudio, founded by Coleman Coker.
Profile of buildingstudio
- Business Name
- United States
- Not Available
Coleman Coker (born 1951)
- buildingstudio was founded by Coleman Coker in 1999 after a thirteen year partnership with Samuel Mockbee as Mockbee/Coker Architects. Coker is a fellow of the American Academy in Rome and a Loeb Fellow in Advanced Environmental Studies at Harvard University Graduate School of Design. He received his MFA from the Memphis College of Art and currently serves on its Board of Trustees as the Academic Affairs Chair.
- Coleman Coker is former director of the Memphis Center of Architecture, a collaborative program of design open to advanced architecture students in the region and sponsored by the University of Tennessee and the University of Arkansas. He has held the E. Fay Jones Chair in Architecture at the University of Arkansas and is the current Favrot Chair at Tulane University School of Architecture.
buildingstudio, a small collaborative firm focusing on inventive and imaginative work, is regularly acknowledged at home and abroad for its design excellence.
buildingstudio was founded with two principles in mind: first, to blur the boundaries between architecture, art, craft and thinking. Rather than separate disciplines, buildingstudio considers each essential to the larger realm of building. And coupled with this, buildingstudio's work explores built presence grounded in the experience of the real world, building as realized through a process of critical reflection.
buildingstudio has designed projects from the Gulf Coast to the Alaska's Cook Inlet, as well as projects abroad. Their work has been highlighted in large-scale installations at locations such as the Wexner Center for the Visual Arts, MoMA in New York and the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. They have been shown in numerous exhibits including the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum and the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C.
- Founded: 1999
- Offices: 1
- Design team: 6
- Bridges Center, Memphis, TN, USA, 2005, community organization
- Texas Twister, Dallas, TX, USA, 2003, private residence
- OBGYN Clinic, Memphis, TN, USA, 2004, doctors clinic
- Wedge, Olympic Peninsula, WA, USA, 2007, private residence
Architecture-Page is an online design resource, featuring architecture and product design from the world over. More
Email this article |
Previous of Profiles Next